Typically speaking, writing a book can be one of the easiest task to ever embark on. Let’s not get it twisted; it takes self-discipline, endurance, perseverance and strength of the mind to start writing a book. Another piece of the puzzle is staying focused.
Before an individual can start to write a book, he or she has to make sure that writing is his or her favorite past time. Commitment is vital to writing effectively. First and foremost, prior to doing anything else, writing should be your craving.
Whichever method of writing you decide on be sure you’re passionate about it. Writing is all about changes and a lot of time is spent researching again and again and rewriting your work. One must be willing to make sacrifices and put in the work; even if it takes re-writing every day.
Let’s begin by saying; all books are either non-fiction or fiction. Non-fiction books contain factual information such as autobiographies, dairies and journals. Fiction books contain non-factual information which has been fabricated with some basic truth that's made-up into a story. Every writer creates his or her own style and method of writing.
Genre is very important. It’s generally known as a category of everything from literature, music characterized by a specific form, content, and style, and a type of art, whether written or spoken, audio or visual, based on style or standard by which something may be assessed with respect to its impact.
Genre in relation to books depends on what the writer or author prefer. Book writing, like any talent, takes time to develop. In order to become a good writer, writing skills have to be learned. The more an individual write the more skillful he or she becomes. Picking a genre is the first step in writing a book.
Choosing a Genre
- · Some of the different book genres are Science fiction, Satire, Drama, Action and Adventure, Romance, Mystery, Horror, Self-help, Health, Guide, Travel, Children's, Religion, Spirituality & New Age, Science, History, Math, Anthology, Poetry, Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, Comics, Art, Cookbooks, Diaries, Journals, Prayer books, Series, Trilogy, Biographies, Autobiographies and Fantasy.
With the many genres listed above, I’m sure confusion is running all around your head right about now. It only takes brainstorming ideas or life experiences to get started writing a book.
Whatever kind of writing content that appeal to you the most will be your genre. If you’re interested in creating short stories, then your book would fall into the fiction category. On the other hand, if you like sharing facts or dealing with current events or history, your book would fall into the non-fiction category.
I know that every author wants a bestselling book but truthfully, it takes skills, time and money to get there. It will happen, but not overnight. This brings us to the point of finding an idea that’s most interesting and appealing to the writer. Writing ideas are invisible in plain sight.
Research ideas to write about
- · Cyberspace is every writer's or author’s best friend. Finding stuff or things to write about couldn’t be easier. The internet is crammed with ideas, stories and events that ordinary people like you and me have come up with over the decades. There’s nothing new under the sun and no two people are alike, with that being said, the wheel can be reinvented.
Have you ever heard of a shift, which means to cause something to change to a different interpretation that goes outside of normal, traditional thinking. The purpose is to entertain, engage and share human experiences. The writer challenges an individual's beliefs to look at something in a different way without letting his or her feelings get in the way. The writer expresses ideas and thoughts in an imaginative way, but still keeping its meaning truthful and factual; this is the start of creative writing.
Creative writing involves anything where the purpose is to communicate thoughts, feelings, and emotions in an original and unique way.
Remember to always start with something you are passionate about. Now that an idea has come to mind to write about, its time put it into action. Every story started with a single idea.
Putting the idea to action means taking other connected topics or thoughts and making a list of the most important or relevant ones. Don’t forget to Research each topic thoroughly. Your goal is to write the best story out there. Start with whatever you know about your story. The goal is to write what’s pleasing to you.
“When you write a story, you’re telling yourself the story. When you rewrite, your main job is taking out all the things that are not the story. Your stuff starts out being just for you, but then it goes out.” - Stephen King
Spending hours researching google and any other search engine to find the most information relating to your idea is the key to a well written story. Gather all of the knowledge you can about the topics.
These are the three most important defining principles you will need to achieve to write a book for the first time.
1. Have a plan of action- a detailed plan outlining actions needed to reach one or more goals.
2. Do your research- carefully search, explore targets that increases scientific knowledge and develop new processes, products, or techniques.
3. Commit to writing your book- fully dedicate yourself and devote the time and effort to the task and you will achieve your goal.